- The Nigerian army has warned that soldiers complaining of maltreatment while fighting Boko Haram insurgents can voluntarily resign instead of complaining.

- The army also warned civilians in the habit of using social media accounts to spread unverified information about army troop treatment and engagement to desist from such acts.

Following alleged complaints by soldiers fighting Boko Haram in Sambisa that they are not being treated well, the Nigerian army has warned soldiers who are not satisfied with treatment they are getting to voluntarily resign from the army.

The Nigerian army has also warned social media users to verify information before posting allegations bordering on payment of troops’ operations allowances.

Daily Post reports that the warning came in a statement released on Saturday, February 18, and signed by the Director army public relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman.


Soldiers who are not satisfied with army's treatment can voluntarily resign - Nigerian army

The statement reads in part: “The attention of the Nigerian army has been drawn to a campaign of calumny on social media platforms by some individuals or group of persons. The faceless persons have been making spurious and unfounded allegations bordering on payment of troops operations allowances, rotation in the North East and comparing troops’ pay to what obtains in neighbouring countries.

“The fabricators are most probably being sponsored by the categories of people that frustrated themselves out of the Army and political self-defeatists. They are clearly sentimental and lack knowledge of the Nigerian army of today.

“However, investigation is ongoing to determine the full identity and source of this mischief and all those found connected with it will be dealt with in accordance with the extant provisions of the military justice system.

"We wish to reiterate that the Nigerian army is a voluntary Service. We are not running a conscript Army, all those not satisfied are at liberty to apply for voluntary retirement or discharge as the case may be. We cannot afford to have disloyal or disgruntled elements in the system. Anybody caught to be involved in this ignominious campaign would have himself or herself to blame.

“The Nigerian army of today cannot be compared with that of any other period. So much has been done in the areas of operations, training, general administration, logistics and general welfare of troops and their families. The families of our fallen colleagues are being given adequate attention commensurate with the established terms and conditions of service.”


Meanwhile, Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff (COAS) , Lt. General Tukur Buratai said the Nigeria Army would recruit 12,000 men this year to boost its operations across the country.

Buratai, who was speaking during a budget defence session with the House of Representatives Committee on Army, said the recruitment exercise would take place after the approval of the army’s 2017 budget proposal of N152.8 billion.

He said the recruitment exercise would be in two batches with 6,000 men first and another 6,000 later

0 comments so far,add yours