On Saturday, July 8, the United States announced more than $630 million in aid for Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan and Nigeria.

The aid was to help such countries where conflict has led to the world's largest humanitarian crisis in more than 70 years according to the United Nations.

The announcement was made as President Donald Trump attended the Group of 20 summit in Germany.

David Beasley, the new American director of the UN World Food Program said: "This is truly a life-saving gift."

Although, the US is the world's largest humanitarian donor, the Donald Trump administration recently proposed deep cuts to foreign aid up to 30% and this has led to a lot of concern.

In a statement attributed to Rev. David Beckmann, president of the Washington-based Christian organization Bread for the World, he said:

"We welcome President Trump's attention to the global humanitarian crisis, but he was announcing aid that Congress approved months ago and that his administration has delayed."

Mllions of people in Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan and Nigeria face hunger amid conflict. Yemen has the world's largest cholera outbreak, while half of drought-hit Somalia's 12 million people need aid. South Sudan's civil war and Nigeria's Boko Haram insurgency have contributed to severe hunger.

President Donald Trump's daughter, Ivanka Trump wrote about her encounter with two high school graduate Chibok girls who recently visited the White House.

The girls, Joy Bishara and Lydi Pogu were one of the girls who escaped from the capture of Boko Haram and were offered scholarship to complete their education in the United States by a Christian non-governmental organisation.

0 comments so far,add yours