As countries ease restrictions and lift bans on their borders, the WHO warned countries to remain on alert for a possible resurgence of COVID-19 infections.
The UN health agency said the fresh outbreak may be a reason behind concern because of Beijing’s size and connectivity to other countries. WHO director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus disclosed this during a virtual news conference on Monday. “Even in countries that have demonstrated the flexibility to suppress transmission, they have to stay responsive to the chance of resurgence.
“Last week, China reported a replacement cluster of cases in Beijing, after quite 50 days without a case therein city. quite 100 cases have now been confirmed.
“The origin and extent of the outbreak are being investigated,” he further said. Recall that the world has been fighting the coronavirus crisis since the virus emerged in Wuhan, China in late 2019.
Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s COVID-19 technical lead, speaking at a group discussion in Geneva, also demonstrated concern over increasing cases in Africa, Eastern Europe within the previous few weeks. “I understand that there are not any deaths associated to this point with the Beijing outbreak.
“There are increasing figures of cases in Africa, eastern Europe, central Asia and therefore the geographical region,” he added.
“Nearly 75 per cent of recent cases come from 10 countries, mostly within the Americas and South Asia.